If you are reading this, you probably have seen Charcoal Facial soaps before, but did you know that charcoal is awesome for more than just soap?
First off, what even is activated charcoal?
This is a question that everyone needs the answer to. The activated charcoal that we use in our charcoal products is the result of burning coconut husk, and processing it down into a powder for consumer use.
As much as we'd love to be able to say we invented the use of charcoal in body care products, we can't! Although we were potentially the first in the US back in 2007, activated charcoal has been used medicinally throughout the world for a variety of reasons. Egyptians used in in their process of smelting ore to make bronze, the Hindus and others used it to purify water for drinking, and in Asia charcoal has been used for skin care for a good amount of time.
So what are the benefits of activated charcoal, how and why is it used?
Activated charcoal has a variety of uses, a good many of them medicinal. Activated charcoal can be used for help with all of the following:
- Tooth whitening
- Just add a pinch into your toothpaste or use a charcoal toothpaste
- Water filtration
- Commercially, activated charcoal is used to filter water in some circumstances, this is because charcoal naturally is able to fight against toxins in water.
- Stomach problems and other digestion issues
- If anyone has a stomach ache, anyone on the Destiny Boutique crew knows that a tea spoon of activated charcoal in water is the quickest remedy.
- Skin care
- Activated charcoal is really fine and it can travel deep within pores, pulling out dirt, oil, and other impurities in order to remove unwanted impurities